Real Housewives of New York. I know. Go ahead and roll your eyes. There was a time when I’d have done the same thing. But I’m a true convert.
I love RHONY. Not enough, apparently, to know that a new season started nearly three months ago, but that’s all the better because I won’t have to week full weeks between each episode.
I never really envisioned myself watching a show like this. The closest I’d come to reality tv was Amazing Race. Then I listened to a couple of really smart, productive and successful women I respect talking about how hooked they were on various shows in the Real Housewives franchise. I made the decision to start watching one, but I didn’t know where to start. I asked around a little and sampled a few. Finally, I decided on New York.
Here are a few things I learned:
- Few, of any, of the women are actually housewives.
- While it has its high points, it isn’t nearly as dramatic as it’s made out to be.
- They drink a lot of alcohol.
It took a while for me to get the hang of what was going on and who was who, but I was pretty instantly down with it. Here’s why:
- They are amazingly put together. As someone with no patience for giving a shit about clothes or makeup or even haircuts, I actually love to look at them and see what they wear and how they compose themselves. From clothing to homes to etiquette. It’s feels like I’m at a museum or watching a documentary.
- I like that they don’t all like each other all the time. There is the odd blowout, sure, but they have mostly mastered the art of getting along. Not always getting along well, but they get along. They argue, they get over it. They fight, they get over it. They insult each other, they get over it. They don’t feel any need to love or be loved and that’s refreshing.
- They get real way more than regular people. No matter what happens, no matter how obnoxious, they all, at some point or another, they will all humbly apologize, admit their wrongs and really, deeply talk it out. They own their feelings and behaviours like no real person I’ve ever known.
- They do super fun stuff. They have parties and put on costumes (they dresses as mermaids just to hang around the house one day this season!) and have crab bakes. They bring entertaining to a new level and I love watching that, too.
- My favourite housewife is constantly changing. It never stays the same for long.
So, yes, I do watch Real Housewives of New York City and I will not apologize for it.
I have one other guilty pleasure show, but I won’t reveal it yet.
What are your guilty pleasure tv shows?